Thursday 23 February 2012

Deadline For Big Brother: End of May 2012!

OK, I've finally set a deadline to publish Big Brother and this is it - May 2012.

It may seem a long way off, and it probably is considering I started writing the book in November 2010, but I've had a lot of other things going on at the same time. It hasn't been the easiest book in the world to write, but it would've been a whole lot better without life and its irritations and distractions getting in the way!

And then, of course, there's the cover! Keith, my husband and cover designer, he who is impossible to drag away from his car restoration, said, 'Draw some ideas for me.'

Me? Draw?

So I got some plain paper and a pencil and I proceeded to draw five pages of -

stick men!

Correction: I drew five pages of rubbish stick men. Well, I didn't do A Level Art, unlike some!

So when he finished laughing he said, 'Draw a boat.' (There isn't a boat in Big Brother, he was just trying to find out how bad an artist I really am). I obeyed, but he insulted that, too. The smug git then drew a boat with a man sitting in it, and I had to concede his effort was far superior to mine. It looked like someone was rowing an actual boat, even though it was a rough sketch! I think he was just trying to show off.

I decided to print out some Google images for ideas instead. He nodded in approval, said 'OK,' and is now watching the telly with the printed copy on the coffee table under his feet!

Getting there! Not!

Meanwhile I'm coming to the end of the first edit. Seven edits altogether, that's what is generally recommended. It started very slowly, but has speeded up quite a bit. After chapter nine the remaining chapters don't seem to need as much work, which is a relief; and with each edit it gets easier...

I JUST NEED A COVER TO STICK ON IT!

No comments: