Tuesday 26 March 2013

Blogger Is Not A Web Site

Why is it whenever I try to re-style this site something always goes Pete Tong with one of the gadgets?! I'm trying to add tabs to the top of my blogs to make the it more sitey and it's decided to break with this message: 'Please correct the errors on this form'. Does it tell you what those errors are? No. Still, I'm not the only one having the problem, and they're trying to fix it.

I want to do this so I can look at a way of morphing the blog into a proper web site eventually and have a design I want to work with. I've wanted a proper web site for some time, but I've either never had the time to set one up or I've never been able to afford a domain name. However, I think it's time I did something about it now, so I'm going for it!

I have tried to make my blog pages look like a web site, following the principles in this help article http://www.blogger-help.com/2010/09/how-to-turn-your-blogger-blog-into.html without changing to the domain name, but the problem is the blogs I've created (apart from this one) are static and only get updated occasionally, not even with new posts. Followers are expecting me to add more posts and I'm not going to do that because the blogs are for information only or only updated occasionally, like what you get on a web site. It's time I stopped thinking that just because blogger is free I can imagine it is a proper web site. It isn't. A blog is something you update regularly with posts and news.

So if I want to be taken more seriously and promote my books I have to have a properly designed business web site. Web sites are supposed to be static unless they are updated with bits and pieces. I have basic html skills so I can do it. I was thinking of using 1and1.co.uk to get started. It's fairly reasonably priced. But I will keep this Scribbler blog page going with all my news and updates.

The only fly in the ointment will be having to go through all the promotional sites I'm on and having to change the details of my blog link to the new site name! That will be a major headache!







No comments: